The best way how you can tell a story about an event or some situation is always REPORTAGE.
The REPORTAGE is always used by journalist for telling a news and story thoroughly – it is more personal then ordinary news and other journalist genres could be.
People usually think that is not easy to learn ´art of reportage´ and is really need to be qualified for that.
Of course – making a good reportage is not easy for beginners but if you will follow some easy, basic and logic rules then you can learn to make a professional looking reportage so quickly as you are willing and able to learn that.
HOW YOU CAN MAKE A REPORTAGE?
You can write it, make a video or take a pictures – and actually if you are aspirating on radio journalist position, you can make also a sound reportage.
The following rules work in the case in both cases – if you are planning your video and you would like to edit that and even if your video is accidental (you decide to make a short quick video at the same time when you are walking down the street and you can see something interesting or funny what you would like to share).
THE MOST IMPORTANT POINTS to making a reportage:
- In every cases you If you would like to make a reportage you need to know the issue. What you would like to tell to your audience / social sites viewers? Would you just like to share with them a scene of any performance or situation (one moment of your birthday party) or do you would like to make a reportage about some political issue or longer video / large photo reportage (series of pictures) telling a story about some person, organisation, project or just gossips of ´behind the scene´, etc.?
- Now you can write your short draft / screenplay. Obviously won´t be so long like the one for film. What will be in your draft?The crucial questions you have to get in your mind:
- WHAT – what is the name of project, organisation or event where you are going at? And shortly say what is going on (one, three sentences max.)
- WHO – who are the people associated with that – the organiser, performers, visitors, … They can tell you more about that and they can become very important part of your video or photo! Cos always is our video and photo more attractive with the people. Cos we want to see people and their faces on the screen!
- WHERE – location. We want to know where your reportage does take a place. City (Country), part of city. And show it – is it park, place close to water, interesting or unusual venues? Museum, Parliament? Show us this place (ideally it will be your first or second picture or takes in your reportage).
- WHEN – The best is say date (Today, yesterday, this week? ). But if is not about the news the date is not so much important when the repotage will be broadcasted, placed on the web after that. But it is very important to tell WHEN – date, hours… in the case if your reportage is announcement for the event. But! If is really the date the most important message of your story, never tell (or write) that on the beginning of your reportage (just only if is for example…. something like Remembrance days, some anniversary, etc.).
- WHY – Give to your audience so much as possible to know WHY this event take a place, why here – especially on that place or why is managed or performed by these people, actors, politics, etc. There is great try to find out some questions before you come there. Sometimes you can put the answers through an interviews with people from point WHO 🙂 and sometimes just you can show that – by pictures.
- HOW – How is going on, how happened…. Try to ask yourself minimal three times HOW… HOW was this statue made, HOW people will get to their homes or work if the tube workers announced the next strike. HOW it will be look Britain after Brexit. HOW the organisers could manage this large event without they went insane :-). Sometimes your questions could be a bit crazy. The ideal stand is if part of your questions are serious and then some a bit unusual. Don´t be worry for being looking like a bit crazy one. Then you can surprise people and get more interesting answers and your audience will love you! 🙂
We will concentrate on the next rules of VIDEO and also of the PHOTO reportage in the next article (will be issued this Saturday) BASIC RULES OF MAKING A VIDEO ! Stay in touch!